The Institute for Emotions and Health in Washington, DC is a group of independent psychology and counseling practitioners dedicated to the diagnosis and effective treatment of Medically Unexplained Physical Symptoms (MUPS). On this site you will find information about our practice, useful resources, and steps involved in the treatment of MUPS.
Have you experienced the following:
- Medical tests failed to explain your troubling physical symptoms?
- Received a diagnosis that does not explain the underlying cause of your symptoms or help you find effective treatments?
- Medical treatments failed to address and reduce your suffering?
- Do you experience relapses and flare-ups despite changes in diet and exercise, and adherence to your prescribed medications?
- Do you think that emotions and stress could be causing or worsening your symptoms?
You may be suffering from a Medically Unexplained Physical Symptoms (MUPS), which can be driven by stress and emotional factors and treated with talk therapy.
- Diagnose: Assist you and your medical treatment teams to determine whether emotional factors are contributing to your MUPS
- Treat effectively: Utilize cutting edge therapy techniques to help you overcome the emotional factors that contribute to the physical and emotional suffering of MUPS
- Optimize: Carefully study and supervise our clinical work to increase the effectiveness of our therapy with you and other people with MUPS
- Collaborate: Maintain continuity of care with your treatment team to ensure that both emotional and physical contributors to your difficulties and well-being are being addressed
- Research: Conduct empirical studies to test our effectiveness and contribute to the research on psychological treatments for MUPS
- Educate: Provide education for fellow professionals interested in the diagnosis and treatment of MUPS